Text or Call: 07792 021627
Get Spray Tan-tastic with KGB Salon
In this day and age having a gorgeous sun-kissed glow all year round is easier than ever! There are a huge amount of self-tanners on the market. However, sometimes it can be somewhat tricky to achieve an even, streak-free coverage at home by yourself. And what sort of acrobat do you need to be to reach every millimetre of your back with the tanning mitt? On the other hand, how not scare people with your pasty pins? Of course, the answer is right here – get a spray tan!
Okay, it’s not exactly revolutionary, but a spray tan has an amazing way of making you look and feel ready for summer or provide you with that just-back-from-holiday look. Having a tanned body makes you instantly feel healthier and happier.
If you’ve never had a spray tan then you will probably have quite a few questions, like… ‘will you turn TOWIE orange?’ or ‘will you have to get naked in front of a stranger?’
In this post I will try to explain what happens every step of the way when you get a spray tan. Personally I use Sienna X for my clients but I also love Vani-T and their Velocity rapid tan range.
So here are few things to consider before your spray tan:
- Your therapist will advice you on the best solution strength for you and your skin type. For example, someone who is very pale and who very easily burns on the sun will not suit a dark 12% solution because it might potentially turn them orange! So listen to your therapist’s advice, they do know better as they have received their training with the brand they are using!
- Exfoliate using your favourite body scrub and moisturise the night before the tan (not on the day of the tan), paying particular attention to dry areas such as elbows, knees, ankles and problem dry patches if you have any. The more dead/dry skin you remove prior to your tan the longer the tan will last and the more even it will come out.
- Have your manicure and pedicure done before having a spray tan so that the varnish doesn’t smudge and you don’t have to use nail polish remover after your tan. Even better – book your Gelish manicure or pedicure instead of a regular varnish to have your nails instantly looking gorgeous and most importantly – instantly dry and smudge-free!
- Wax/shave at least 24/48 hours prior to your spray tan. This allows the pores time to close and your skin to calm down. Otherwise the tan may collect inside the pores causing black dots that are very unsightly.
- Don’t use deodorant, perfume and heavy creams/moisturisers prior to your tan. Potentially this may result in uneven finish, green streaks and patches.
During your spray tan:
- Take off all your make-up and sparingly apply the barrier cream to dry areas as instructed by your therapist.
- Remove all your jewellery and piercings *where possible* otherwise you may end up with pale patches in the shape of your ring or necklace (nice!).
- Undress. You can wear a bikini, but remember that you will get lines wherever you are covered – i supply paper pants for my clients – and don’t be shy if you go topless, remember we have seen it all before!
- The full body spray tan will take about 15 minutes and your therapist will tell you which way to turn and when, so relax!
After your spray tan:
- Wear dark, loose clothing (or even PJs!) for after your treatment. Tight clothing or underwear may cause marks and patches.
- Wear flip-flops or loose fitting shoes (no socks as the elastic band will cause marks).
- Do not shower, bathe or go swimming for the duration of the tan development period (this will vary depending on the type of the tan you had. Rapid tans develop in a couple of hours and the regular tan in around 8 hours after your tan).
- Avoid exercise during the development period.
- After every shower pat dry rather than rub – this will significantly prolong your tan.
- Avoid taking long bubbly bathing sessions as this may affect the longevity of your tan causing it to fade.
I recommend that my clients let their tan develop overnight and shower in the morning. Sienna X doesn’t normally stain the bed sheets however if it does, it should come out in your regular wash. Make it a habit to use a moisturiser on a regular basis. I love my Bodyshop body butters however you can use whatever suits your skin or even a very gentle moisturiser with built in gradual tanner to make your tan last even longer.
On average, your spray tan will last around 7 days depending on how good care you take. When you notice that your tan is starting to fade, make sure to use the exfoliator every day to prepare your skin for your next Sienna X Golden Goddess appointment! This is bar far the best way to achieve the sun-kissed glow without any health risks and long time commitment!!!